Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Public art these days deserves a swift ball kick...

I got up this morning and went for a jog (alright, lets be honest here - fast-ish walk) along the water by Seattle's sculpture park. It was a beautiful day and I took the oppurtunity to lay down on the grass for a bit. I noticed they were erecting a few awnings for some upcoming sculptures that will be visiting the park soon. As I sat there enjoying the rare seattle sun I noticed a crowd of people arranging themselves around the awnings talking to each other and staring. One of the sculpture park security guards walked up and someone from the crowd said - "Excuse me, do you know who did these pieces? There isn't any name here." and the security guard explained to the crowd that it was, in fact, not an art exhibit, but just a FREAKIN AWNING for the sculpture that hadn't even arrived yet. The crowd quickly dispersed.
COME ON?! REALLY?? wait, i'm not surprised. with the crap that qualifies as public art these days I can see why people would be confused. If a giant typewriter eraser and an upside down umbrella are the best we can get why not just throw in a couple awnings for kicks. If public art was a dude I would give it a quick punch in the balls. Coming back from florence has made my already low tolerance for crap art even more unbearable.  Its a little sad to come home to a place whose idea of public art is a giant typewriter eraser. Such a bummer.
on a brighter note:
I have a show coming up at Hyeana gallery in LA in only four weeks. I tried to get as much done as possible before I left but there is still so much to do. Being in one of the greatest centers of art in the world gave me just he shot of perspective I needed to return to work and try to finish off the rest of the paintings for the show with a bang. hopefully they won't suck.

No comments:

Post a Comment